In 2005 the U.S. Congress passed a law known as the “REAL ID Act.” The law created a new standard that takes effect October 1, 2020. Any person who wants to enter a federal office or wants to fly on a commercial airplane within the United States must have a REAL ID before October 1, 2020. The new identification will have a gold star in the top right corner.
To prove citizenship you must produce:
• birth certificate;
• an unexpired U.S. passport;
• a U.S certificate or consular report of birth abroad;
• a valid and unexpired permanent resident card provided by DHS or INS;
• an unexpired employment authorization document provided by DHS;
• an unexpired foreign passport with a valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form;
• a certificate of naturalization issued by DHS; or
• a certificate of citizenship issued by DHS
• if you have married or divorced and your name has changed you must also bring a marriage certificate or court order showing the name change.
To prove your Social Security number you must produce one of the following documents:
• an original Social Security card;
• a W-2 form issued within the last year;
• a 1099 issued within the last year; or
• a payroll check stub.
To prove your residency as a Tennessee resident you must bring two (2) of the following documents:
• a home utility bill issued in the last four months;
• a current Tennessee vehicle registration or certificate of title;
• a current Tennessee voter registration card;
• an IRS tax return, issued within the last year;
• a bank statement, issued within the last four months;
• a payroll check stub, issued within the last four months;
• a current mortgage or rental contract;
• a current homeowner or renter insurance policy;
• a current automobile, life or health insurance policy;
• a receipt for personal property or real estate taxes paid in the last year;
• installment loans, including for automobiles, student loans or bank loans;
• current employer verification of residence documents;
• a current Tennessee driver’s license; or
• a current Tennessee handgun carry permit.
The documents you bring with you to the Driver’s License testing Center must be original or certified. No photocopies will be accepted. Here are some links that may help you: